Pages

Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Luke 11: 37-41

Brothers and Sisters in Christ,
I am sorry I haven't posted in a little while, I have been unusually occupied lately with school and other activities. I had an unusual experience yesterday. My family and I all gathered together for daily prayer where my Mom or Kevin reads the gospel of the day. Yesterday's gospel was Luke 11: 37-41. In this reading Jesus goes to eat at a Pharisee's house and the pharisee is astonished when Jesus doesn't wash before the meal. Jesus says to him "Oh, Pharisees! Although you cleanse the outside of the cup and dish, inside you are filled with plunder and evil. You fools! Did not the maker of the outside also make the inside? But as to what is within, give alms, and behold, everything will be clean for you."
I listened to the reading and didn't think much of it until a little later in my personal prayer time I decided to read from the New Testament and opened again to this reading. I was surprised and so I read it over again. It reminds me of two important things. FIrst, that it is necessary to cleanse your soul, heart and mind along with cleaning all other exterior things, you cannot be clean on the outside and dirty within. Secondly, that alms giving is crucial for your soul's health.
I really felt called to share this reading with all of you, I hope that it blesses you in some way! Also if any of you feel inspired to share your thoughts about this reading you can post it as a comment :) .
Peace and Love in Christ,
Alyse

1 comment:

  1. ALyse,
    Fasting and almsgiving were the two big parts of Lenten observance for most of the Church's history. Somehow almsgiving is only the poor relation of the Lenten family today.
    Your reminder is good for all of us as Christians. The Bible and Church tradition make a big deal of almsgiving.
    Keep up the good work,
    Uncle Beau

    ReplyDelete