Pages

Friday, October 22, 2010

The World on Fire

Brothers and Sisters in Christ,
Yesterday's gospel was really beautiful. It was Luke 12: 49 53 and the first part really jumped out at me.
Jesus said to his disciples: "I have come to set the earth on fire, and how I wish it were already blazing!..."
I feel that to often I think of God's will and plan to be having a world that is happy and tranquil. A world where everyone is so happy in God and just very mellow with everyone living in harmony. That is not the truth at all. After holding that image for only a second I start to realize that we are called to be fiery Christians. We are called to live lives radically and blazing with passion and zeal for God.
Later in the gospel it says, "Do you think I have come to establish peace on Earth? No, I tell you, but rather division."
When I first heard this I was thinking, What? But then I realized that he means he hasn't come to Earth and died for us so that we can all be content and mellow, so that we can all live peaceful and uneventful lives; rather that we will all be on fire for him. Not everyone will agree with us, even households will be divided because what we are called to is so radical. We are called to live outside the boxes we have created for ourselves and to abandon ourselves completely to the will of God. We Christians need to be filled with fire for Christ, we need to live in the way that Christ intended us to. It is such a deep message that I can't fully grasp it but it still inspires me to share it with you. God Bless!
Peace and love in Christ,
Alyse

No comments:

Post a Comment