Pages

Friday, March 11, 2011

It's Lent!

Dear Brothers and Sisters in Christ,

Lent has arrived again. On ash wednesday I was blessed to see the church so full. It is so encouraging to see so many come to mass for the preparation of a forty day penance time. When I think of lent I usually don't think "happy" or "great" as it should be, since it is a time for penance, but it does get me excited. Excited to know that my soul can go through a sort of spring cleaning, and get rid of all of the junk that has been in it for the past year. It is a great time to examine your spiritual life, your everyday actions, and change them. To turn your life around with penances and fasts that you stick to and form good habits of.

Of course you don't avoid sweets for the rest of the year, or that kind of thing, but lent can teach you so much. God really works when we sit and listen, and I find lent to be a good time for that. To be able to say "Okay God, I love you so much that I am going to die to myself for a while and let you work in me."

I hope that you all are having a blessed lent and are preparing your heart for Easter, when we will celebrate His resurrection!

Peace and love in Christ,
Alyse

1 comment:

  1. Hey Alyse!
    Lent is a special time I glad it is something we can share. I wish we were sharing it together. This is a good time to think about, donate to, pray for and be aware of Earthquake victims in Haiti,Chile, New Zealand, and now Japan. I think the season of self-denial hlps us over a lifetime to be aware of those who are denied things through emergencies. I enjoyed your post.

    ReplyDelete