Pages

Monday, May 16, 2011

Sunday's Gospel

Dear Brothers and Sisters in Christ,

Yesterday's gospel really blessed me. It happens to be one of my many favorites! It is the reading of John 10: 1-10 about the good shepherd who's sheep know his voice. I like the particular part where it says, "When he has driven out all his own, he walks ahead of them, and the sheep follow him, because they recognize his voice." I love to think of us, God's people on Earth, following Jesus by recognizing his voice. So much of our walk with Christ relies on hearing God's voice every day and following it. Many times, whenever we hear the voice of God, it becomes apparent because we recognize him, because he has made himself known to us. If we can recognize God's voice we become able to follow it and to avoid the voice of sin and deceit. God has blessed us so much by letting us know his voice in scripture, and also through the words of our brothers and sisters who are also following Him.

Another part I love in that scripture is at the end when it says, "I came so that they might have life and have it more abundantly." Our good shepherd came for us to live life to the fullest. If we follow him we not only receive his gift of life, but that life in fullness and abundance! To live abundantly is something we all desire. I don't know anyone who strives to live an empty life. Who wakes up and says, "I am going to sit around, earn, learn and do nothing today. That is what I want in life, utter emptiness!" On the contrary, so many people go through life looking for fulfillment. Unfortunately, many do not know that only Christ can bring that fulfillment, that no amount of money, things, friends, or entertainment can truly fill us. We are the good shepherd's flock and only he is enough. Only he can give us life in abundance! Praise Him!

Peace and love in Christ,
Alyse

1 comment:

  1. Love you! That is a good sharing about a passage that has meant a great deal to many. I thought the sermon at St. James was good that day too, which you heard and the examples from the Holy Land. You of course grew up around "pastores" and so did not need Fr.'s images as much as some. ALthough I am sure he was not the same as hearing the Preacher of the Papal Household a few days earlier he also seemed to love that passage. So do I ...
    Stay in touch..

    ReplyDelete