Pages

Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Canned Tomatoes

Dear brothers and sisters in Christ,
"Don't eat this." my Mom warned as I stood in the kitchen making lunch. I turn to find her pouring canned tomato sauce into a tupperware container.
"Why would I eat that?" I asked, genuinely curious to hear her answer.
"I don't know, but if you do all you will get is a spoon of canned tomatoes."
I laugh silently to myself and continue making sandwiches. Why I would ever want to eat a few spoonfuls of tomato paste beats me, I know it's gross and my mom knows it won't be good for me. Wait a second... I thought about how God must have felt giving the garden of Eden to Adam and Eve.
"Don't eat from the tree that will lead you astray from me." He warned kindly.
In a garden where there is so much good stuff why would they want to eat the only bad thing? It made me flash to myself, standing at the fridge eating spoons of tomato paste greedily while other delicious things my mom has provided sit inside the refrigerator. "Now I've done it, I have finally done it!" I would laugh maniacally as I slurped yet another spoon of cold, flavorless paste.

Why would I ever want to do that? And yet it happens time and time again. God warns to not do something that will permanently damage our souls and yet we do it out of pure adventure or disregard. When God gives us so many fantastic things in life and warns not settle for the nasty yuckiness that the world serves we sometimes rebel and ignore all of the wonders God has in store! It seems so silly when you put it into terms of tomato paste for a snack, but yet I do things much sillier in real terms! Choosing to sin instead of do the service God offers me is like choosing tomato paste instead of yogurt, cheese sticks, granola bars or ice cream. The better option is soooo much better!
Peace and love in Christ,
Alyse

No comments:

Post a Comment