Pages

Tuesday, August 24, 2010

How old are you?

Dear brothers and sisters in Christ,
On my way back from Mexico last week we were at the border trying to cross back into the USA. There were probably seven people there, I don't know why exactly but all of them were standing there, inspecting our vehicle or listening to what we were saying. The one lady that was checking out all of our passports read each person's name and then would move to the next one. That is until she got to me. She pronounced my name wrong, then looked around the car for me. I smiled and waved to show her where I was sitting. Then she looked at my passport and back at me, "How old are you?" she asked. I smiled, "Fifteen." She looked at me skeptically, "Where are your parents?" "At home back in Louisiana." Then she looked around the whole car, apparently noticing for the first time that we were all young. "You are all young." We smiled and nodded, "Yes mam," "You aren't afraid to be going to Mexico?" James, who was in the passenger seat just shrugged his shoulders and said, "No. God is on our side." The lady laughed a little and said, "Yes he is." Then she waved us on. As we drove on we all laughed a little. I guess she doesn't see a car full of missionaries under the age of 25 all of the time, which doesn't really surprise me.
It made me glad though. Often times I look at my age as a hindrance, a block between me and where I want to be. But it isn't, it is cool to see that it makes a difference. Even if that difference is hidden in a question, the point is that it shows. It was fun to answer that lady, to tell her who I was even if it was done for legal purposes. I know we changed her day, I bet she remembered us as the crazy car of young missionaries. It was awesome.
Peace and love in Christ,
Alyse

4 comments:

  1. YAY! I can't wait to go to Mexico!
    :D
    Lizzy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, until we told her we were missionaries, she had this cold impersonal look in her eye... which was probably because she thought we were druggies... She thawed and even became motherly when she realized we were missionaries.. YOUNG missionaries.

    ReplyDelete
  3. wow! I agree you are brave, but, what can happen when God and the Blessed Virgin are both with you!?! My name is Mary, I am also Catholic and I just came across your blog! I think what you are doing is wonderful! Keep up the good work! God bless you as your spread his truths throughout the world!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yeah it was a great experience :). Thank You!!!

    ReplyDelete